General Conference weekend has always been a favorite time for me. I love having two days to listen to our prophet and apostles, and I love having a chance just to sit and work on something with my hands while I watch/listen to all the talks. (It has always helped me focus more to be doing something with my hands.)
Well, Kevin and I both accomplished quite a few projects. Kevin began by painting the basement, but he actually did that between sessions. It sure is awesome to have it all painted now - so exciting!! We matched the pain in the rest of our house for the most part, but Kevin did get to have a bright green wall that his TV will go on.
One of Kevin's big projects was to make Lily's Halloween costume. He is officially the costume guru in our home, and so she made a plan, they had purchased the supplies the week before, and so he set to sewing as he listened to conference.
I had a few projects, both of which, Kevin helped me out a little with. I wanted to make a cute dishsoap dispenser using a fancy jam jar, which he kindly drilled a hole in the lid for me. Then all I had to do was glue on the spout. I love how it turned out :).
My other big project was to make all the ornaments for the yearly ornament exchange I go to. Since the past two years found me frantically getting them all finished the day of the party, this year I had vowed to get them done early - very early. And thanks to Kevins help with a little cutting and drilling, I did get them done :).
Aren't they the cutest little Nativity ornaments? I had seen them for sale on Etsy, and I figured I could make them. It just took a little creativity to figure out how they all fit together, but it worked. Just in case you want to make them, this is how. First, you need hemp twine, clothespins - the cute kind, wire, wooden stars, rafia, and a glue gun.
You need to cut the top off of some of the clothespins to make the little ones you will use for the baby Jesus. This is one of the things Kevin did for me - he even sanded the rough edges. What an awesome husband. You also need to drill a small hole in each star - just big enough to put a wire through it. (He did this for me too.)
Then you add the star and the twine. The star wire needs to be long enough that you can glue it in between the two pins. Then immediately glue the twine on to make a look that is just slightly higher than the star.
It was so nice to have those projects done. And I can't wait for Halloween to post the pictures of Lily's Halloween costume - Kevin outdid himself, thanks to his new toy, his grandma's old surger :). It was a wonderful weekend, full of productivity and being inspired by the words of our prophet and apostles.